ORGANISATION NAMEUniversity of Deusto
RESEARCH FIELDFormal sciencesProfessions and applied sciences
CAREER STAGEFirst Stage Researcher (R1) (Up to the point of PhD)
PhD Studentship in DeustoTech
Deusto Institute of Technology (DeustoTech), located in Bilbao (Spain), is a Research Technology Organization linked to the University of Deusto (UD) through the Faculty of Engineering, and was created with the mission of generating and transferring knowledge to the social and business fabric, and support the Faculty through research, development and innovation in the field of information and communication technologies (ICT), and in accordance with the ethical and humanistic principles that define the UD.
More info: http://deustotech.deusto.es/en/
DeustoTech invites applications for PhD Studentships in the following research field:
Inclusive Location-based Services through Advanced Localization Techniques on Smart Devices
The proposed research will focus on the simulation and implementation of advanced localization techniques using devices available in the mass market, such as smartphones or wearable devices, with the aim of developing location-based services that promote and foster the inclusion and accessibility of people with disabilities.
Smart devices have increasingly greater technical capabilities that can be used for localization purposes: improved satellite navigation (access to raw measurements, multi-constellation including Galileo, dual frequency receivers), different Radio Frequency interfaces (Cellular, WLAN, BLE, FM radio,...), inertial sensors with which to implement pedestrian dead reckoning (PDR) or human activity recognition (HAR) systems, as well as other useful sensors such as camera, microphone or barometer. In addition, they have the necessary computing capacity to implement data fusion techniques or cooperative strategies, such as the use of multiple devices (smartphone and smartwatch, for example).
All these new technical capabilities present exciting challenges for signal processing practitioners and researchers and open promising opportunities to empower people with disabilities to interact with and through the world.
- The PhD studentship will be in the context of the 2019 call of the Research Training Grants Programme of the University of Deusto: https://www.deusto.es/cs/Satellite/deusto/en/university-deusto/admissions-administration-and-grants/scholarships-and-grants-/research-training-grants-programme/beca
- The PhD studentship includes partial tuition fees plus a non-taxable subsistence allowance of around 21.000€ per year. The exact grant amount awarded will be determined by the Pre-doctoral Programme published by the Department of Education of the Basque Government of the corresponding year.
- The PhD studentship has a duration of 3 years. It requires annual renewal. Renewal is contingent on achieving the research objectives established at the beginning of each year.
- The PhD candidate commits to undertake a PhD thesis with international mention or with international co-supervision. This requires spending between three and six months in a non-Spanish research institution.
- Candidates who want to apply for this vacancy should have a first class or good degree at master’s level in Mathematics, Physics, Telecommunications Engineering Technology, Industrial Technology or equivalent.
- Advanced command of English (C1 or equivalent) is desired. Knowledge of Spanish is not a requirement.
- To be eligible students must be full-time and physically present at the DeustoTech's premises (except during the international stay).
First call: 22nd April 2019. Applications will be evaluated in order of arrival.
The responsibility for the funding offers published on this website, including the funding description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.