ORGANISATION/COMPANYEuropean Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE18/12/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONUnited Kingdom › Hinxton, Cambridge
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
About the team/job
We are seeking a Software Engineer for deployment in the task force building and operating the SARS-CoV-2 Data Hubs, a part of the European COVID-19 Data Platform.
This is an opportunity to make a significant contribution to EMBL-EBI’s COVID-19 scientific response. The European COVID-19 Data Platform comprises two components: the COVID-19 Portal supporting access to COVID-19 related reference data and specialist datasets and the SARS-CoV-2 Data Hubs, providing support for outbreak data management, sharing and cloud-based analysis.
As part of the SARS-CoV-2 Data Hubs Task Force, you will build upon existing infrastructure to develop and extend the existing pathogen Data Hubs. This will include work on programmatic interfaces to link content to visualisation, our Notebooks data exploration system, improving and extending our cloud computational workflow environments, data mirroring systems, data retrieval interfaces and provision of links to national public health infrastructure services. You will design and extend software, including investigating and selecting appropriate technologies, to meet the data indexing and presentation needs of the projects. You will work with teams from across the Institute.
Applicants should possess a university degree in the computer or life sciences, have several years’ experience in a software development capacity and the following skills and experiences:
- Strong command of Java, preferably including Spring/Spring Boot
- RESTful APIs
- Proficiency with database connectivity. Relational and noSQL databases (document stores (e.g MongoDB) or search engines (ElasticSearch))
- Shell scripting
- Experience in full software development cycle including design, implementation, testing, version control and deployment
- Willingness to learn new skills as the project requires
- Self-motivated and capable of working both independently and as part of a team
You might also have
- Experience with NextFlow workflow manager, or other workflow manager
- Experience with microservices architecture
- CI/CD pipelines
- Containerisation (Docker or similar) and orchestration
- Cloud deployment
- Prior experience working in a multidisciplinary scientific environment
Why join us
EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in bioinformatics. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by over 27 member states and two associate member states. We encourage personal and professional development and are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their potential at work.
Surrounded by picturesque South Cambridgeshire countryside, our">https://youtu.be/cABhbUHsKIk">our Campus provides employees with a relaxed atmosphere where the pursuit of scientific discovery and meaningful work, underpin every role. In addition, our employees have access to a wide range of benefits">https://oc.ebi.ac.uk/s/fiF3nCKBOSxf2jA">benefits including:
- 30 days annual leave per year plus 8 bank holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Unique pension scheme including 17% employer contribution
- Annual salary review
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Death benefit, long-term care, accident at work and unemployment insurances
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- On-site library and subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria
- Casual dress code
- Free shuttle bus to and from Campus
- Extensive sports and social club activities (run on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: Onsite nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV through our online system. At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ and individuals from all nationalities. For more information please see our website">https://www.embl.fr/jobs/work-at-embl/index.html">website. Visa information will be discussed in more depth with applicants selected for interview.
This position is limited to the project duration until end February 2022 in the first instance. The role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate if not based locally. There will be a relocation package including installation grant (if applicable). More info on how we are recruiting in this period is available on our page: Recruitment">https://www.ebi.ac.uk/about/jobs/recruitment-covid19">Recruitment and Onboarding during Covid19.
Applications will close at 23:00 GMT on the date listed above. We will be in touch in the New Year regarding outcome and to schedule interviews should you be shortlisted.
Appointment will be based on merit alone.
Ref. Number: EBI01738
EURAXESS offer ID: 579709
Posting organisation offer ID: 732491
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.