RESEARCH FIELDSociology › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/07/2019 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Leuven
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK38
The European Social Survey (ESS) is a biennial, academically-driven social survey designed to chart and explain the attitudes, beliefs and behavior of European citizens. The ESS creates an international database about social and political attitudes, covering topics such as immigration, well-being, citizen involvement, justice, and climate change. To date, more than 400.000 citizens in 36 countries have taken part in the ESS, leading to a unique cross-national time series spanning nine rounds (2002-2018).
Since the start of ESS, the Centre for Sociological Research (CeSO) at KU Leuven has been responsible for the implementation and data collection for ESS in Flanders/Belgium. We are looking for a senior research (postdoc level) to play a coordinating role in the Flemish ESS team.
The successful candidate is expected to work on a variety of tasks, including:
- Developing an innovative research agenda (methodological of substantive) and publish papers making use of ESS data
- Coordination of the ESS fieldwork in Flanders, including
- Designing and implementing the sampling strategy
- Selection and follow-up of the fieldwork agency
- Data checks and quality control
- Preparation of grant applications
- Communication with the French-speaking team in Belgium and the ESS headquarters in London
- Developing a strategy to further improve the dissemination of ESS data and findings among academics, policy makers and the general public. This could include:
- Organizing methodological trainings and conferences for the academic community
- Setting up workshops for policy makers and civil servants explaining how to use ESS data
- Creating appealing data visualizations and press releases
These tasks will be carried out in close collaboration with the other members of the Belgian ESS team (supervised by prof. Bart Meuleman).
- a fulltime position for 3 years (initially for 1 year, with an extension after good evaluation)
- a competitive salary at post-doc level
- the opportunity to participate in an extensive international network and to contribute to one of Europe’s leading research infrastructures in the social sciences
- possibilities for further professional development (e.g. through additional courses, participation in workshops and seminars)
- a stimulating and demanding research environment
- a PhD degree in social sciences, sociology, political science, statistics or survey methodology
- an outstanding track record of research and publication in a field relevant for this project
- extensive knowledge in the collection and statistical analysis of survey data; experience with cross-national surveys is an asset
- good command over various statistical packages (e.g. SPSS, SAS, STATA, Mplus etc.)
- fluency in English (command over the Dutch language is not required but is considered as an asset)
- excellent communicative and organizational skills
- a talent for combining personal initiative and team spirit
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 416810
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.