The recognition of higher education, acquired in foreign higher education institutions (HEIs),called hereinafter Academic Recognition is intended:
- For an access to further education in the system of higher education, to PhD studies or to training for vocational qualification in Bulgaria;
- For work purposes and in all cases when the applicant has legal interest
- The HEIs in which the applicant wants to continue his/her education – when academic recognition is sought for access to further education and PhD studies;
- The Minister of Education and Science through the National Centre for Information and Documentation (NACID) - for work and all other purposes, including for access to PhD studies in the Bulgarian academy of Sciences (BAS) and research organizations. NACID is part of ENIC-NARIC Network.
- HEIs and research organizations / BAS - for recognition of academic degrees (PhD, DSc) granted by foreign HEIs or research organizations
For access to further education and PhD studies: The procedure is organized by the respective HEI.
Each Bulgarian HEI maintains internal regulations based on the national legal framework for academic recognition. Applicants can obtain detailed information on requirements and procedures according to the Internal Ordinances on Academic Recognition in each particular HEI. Academic recognition is granted upon decision of the HEI.
- Recognition of academic degrees - PhD and DSc: The procedure is organized by the HEIs or by the research organizations/ BAS in accordance with their internal regulations based on the national legal framework for academic recognition.
- For work purposes /non-regulated professions, and other cases of legal interest: The procedure is organized by the Minister of Education and Science through the National Centre for Information and Documentation NACID. Non-regulated professions are those where there aren’t any restrictions on the requirement to hold qualifications. The recruitment for non-regulated professions is a matter of national regulation of labour markets.
Applicants are required to submit the following set of documents:
- Application form (NACID template);
- original and a copy of the higher education qualification, issued by an educational institution recognized by a competent government authority in the foreign country;
- original and a copy of the academic transcript, and a copy of European diploma supplement if available;
- original and copy of personal identity document.
The documents for higher education qualification and the academic transcript, except for the European diploma supplement must be legalized, translated and certified.
The recognition procedure in NACID includes: verification of the status of the higher education institution; verification of authenticity of documents and assesment of the data; decision for recognition of the educational and qualification degree of the higher education qualification with a professional qualification; issuance of a certificate with a standartized form.
The recognition commission takes into consideration the acquired qualification, granted in accordance with applicant’s documents. In cases where the higher education qualification doesn’t grant any academic degree, the commission decides to which national educational and qualification degree corresponds the acquired higher education.
The recognition in NACID is certified by a certificate with a standartized form. The recognition certificate is only valid on the territory of Bulgaria and does not provide to its holder any rights that may be used in relation to third parties.
Recognition of qualifications required for the pursuit of regulated professions in Bulgaria. You will get information about the competent authority for recognition of qualifications required for the pursuit of a particular regulated profession by selecting a profession from the List of Regulated Professions in Bulgaria.