ORGANISATION/COMPANYEuropean Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesChemistryComputer scienceEngineeringMedical sciencesPhysicsTechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/12/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Heidelberg
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
About the team/job
We are looking for a highly motivated and interdisciplinary imaging specialist to join the Advanced Light Microscopy (LM) Team led by Timo Zimmermann at the new EMBL Imaging Centre (EMBL IC).
EMBL is currently constructing the EMBL IC to make the latest imaging technologies available to a broad, international user community of researchers from academia to industry. The Advanced Light Microscopy Team will work in close collaboration with the Electron Microscopy Team to offer a broad spectrum of electron and light microscopy technologies with special emphasis on correlative microscopy, covering all scales from structure determination of single protein complexes to imaging whole organisms. Advanced and mostly pre-commercial light microscopy will include the latest (cryo-) super-resolution, light-sheet and multiphoton technologies. Dedicated service staff will provide bespoke user project support from sample preparation to image analysis.
The successful applicant will be part of an international, highly collaborative team comprising microscopy engineers, application specialists and image analysists having the mission of highest-level user service provision and technology development. In the start-up phase of the EMBL IC the successful candidate will work on selected pilot projects and microscopy technologies integrated in EMBL’s existing research groups and facility service teams.
Other positions currently open in the EMBL IC:
- Application Specialist in Advanced Light Microscopy (link">https://www.embl.org/jobs/position/HD01871/">link to the position)
- Image Analysis Specialist in Advanced Light Microscopy (link">https://www.embl.org/jobs/position/HD01751/">link to the position; open until 6 Dec)
- Image Analysis Specialist in Electron Microscopy (link">https://www.embl.org/jobs/position/HD01748/">link to the position; open until 6 Dec)
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Setting-up, testing, running, maintaining and adapting novel and custom advanced light microscopy systems and their control software for specific life science applications and imaging conditions in close collaboration with microscope developers and optical engineers from EMBL’s research groups and industrial partners.
- Technologies ranging from (cryo) super-resolution microscopy, to intravital and deep tissue imaging and light-sheet microscopy, correlative light and electron microscopy approaches as well as novel technologies for sample preparation.
- Supporting users jointly with application specialists in running of advanced light microscopy equipment and development of novel image acquisition schemes and workflows.
- PhD in the biophysics, physics, engineering or related disciplines. Developers with comparable experience will also be considered.
- Strong expertise in programming for instrumentation control and automation (C/C++/Java), relevant experience in complex optical set-ups and an interest in biological applications of new optical technologies.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- Ability to work creatively, rigorously and independently.
- Fluency in English.
You might also have
- Experience in user support in microscopy facilities.
Why join us
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation with a very collegial and family friendly working environment. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical, educational and other social benefits. Excellent child care facility is available on campus.
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s flagship research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1600 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Our mission is to offer vital services in training scientists, students and visitors at all levels; to develop new instruments and methods in the life sciences and actively engage in technology transfer activities, and to integrate European life science research.
The working language of the institute is English.
In your online application, you will be asked to include a cover letter, CV and the contact details of 3 referees. Further information about the position can be obtained from Stephanie Alexander, (stephanie.alexander">mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com), project manager of the EMBL IC.
Interviews are planned for February 2021.
The initial contract is for a period of three years with the possibility of a fixed-term extension.
EURAXESS offer ID: 579708
Posting organisation offer ID: 732490
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.