ORGANISATION/COMPANYNational University of Ireland Galway (NUI Galway)
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/12/2020 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONIreland › Galway
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a full-time fixed term (10 months) position as a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Discipline of Civil Engineering, The School of Engineering at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
This position is funded by Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland and is available from now to 31 December 2021.
The researcher will join a highly dynamic, international research cluster performing leading edge research on environmental protection and resource recovery through the development of new technologies. The research team has strong connections with leading industry and academic institutions across Europe and around the world and performs research in areas that include:
- Water and wastewater treatment and energy recovery
- Development of novel, sustainable environmental technologies
- Environment and health
The domain-specific goal of the project is to development of a novel technology for large scale algal biofuel production from wastewater and digestate, which aligns with SEAI’s legal remit of supporting innovative and targeted actions in RD&D in renewable energy under the topic of Bioenergy.
The successful candidate will operate the bench and meso-scale photoreactors, carry out intensive testing on water quality and algal biomass composition, write-up project reports and research papers. The successful candidate will be part of a team of experienced researchers and will report directly to the project PI.
- Operate meso-scale and bench-scale photoreactors
- Test water quality
- Analyse algal compositions and fatty acids
- Disseminate research outputs in the forms of reports, papers and conference presentations
- To complete the administrative work to support the programme of research
- Manage research data
- Manage testing facilities, in particular GC, HPLC and nutrient analyser
- PhD degrees in environmental engineering, chemical engineering or relevant engineering disciplines; or PhD thesis submitted before commencing the research work
- Evidence of experience in wastewater engineering and processes
- Experience in photoreactors and algal composition analysis
- Experience in wastewater quality analysis, gas chromatograph (GC) and high-performance liquid chromatograph (HPLC)
- Knowledge in use of AutoCAD
- Immediate availability
- Capable of using their initiative and a strong ability for critical thinking
- Exceptional communication skills, demonstrated commitment to deliver and publish results, adaptability and the ability to work in a team environment
- Evidence of experience in maintenance of lab reactors and testing facilities
Salary: €38,631 - €39,186 per annum, pro rata for shorter contracts (Postdoctoral Scale)
Please note if your PhD has been submitted but you have not yet received the outcome/result, the appointment will be made at the max point of the Research Assistant Scale i.e. €35,922. Upon receipt of evidence of successfully passing the PhD viva to the Human Resources Office, the successful candidate will then progress to the Postdoctoral Researcher scale as stipulated above.
Start date: Position is available immediately
Applications to include a covering letter, CV,and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in PDF only) to Professor Xinmin Zhan at email@example.com
Please put reference number NUIG 185-20 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 5.00 pm 4th December 2020
We reserve the right to re-advertise or extend the closing date for this post.
EURAXESS offer ID: 579706
Posting organisation offer ID: 732497
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.