ORGANISATION/COMPANYEindhoven University of Technology (TU/e)
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/08/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Eindhoven
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
Eindhoven University of Technology has a vacancy for a
Post-Master PDEng position on Image-based Control for Fast Data Acquisition in Transmission Electron Microscopes
in the Electronic Systems group, department of Electrical Engineering.
The ICT post-master designers program is a two-year salaried program in the field of technological design in Electrical Engineering. The program leads to a Professional Doctorate in Engineering (PDEng) degree.
Researchers in academic and corporate labs are continuously pushing frontiers of science in order to provide the world with new medicines or cleaner energy. They are enabled to do so in part by the high-end lab equipment provided by Thermo Fisher Scientific. Their world-class Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEMs) are used to reveal structures at sub-nm scale, enabling understanding of protein and material properties at the atomic level.
The design project is centered around the development of image-based control in TEM, and will be performed at Thermo Fisher Scientific's research facility in Eindhoven. Advanced real-time image analysis will have to be performed to determine how system parameters can be adjusted. This will lead to a shorter time to result and potentially higher quality images and large 3D reconstructions; which in turn will undoubtedly lead to new discoveries in life and material sciences.
The project is spread over two years and aims to develop your design engineers' abilities. In the project, a specific design objective must be reached within a restricted period of time and with limited means. In accordance with the supervising professor the candidate will be given the opportunity to gather specialized knowledge for the design project already in the first year of your Traineeship. You will be coached by experienced design engineers from industry and/or by TU/e staff with clear and relevant design experience. You will acquire independence and learn to make choices and work well in a project-based manner.
About Electronic Systems Group
Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) is a world-leading research university specializing in engineering science & technology. The Department of Electrical Engineering is responsible for research and education in Electrical Engineering. The discipline covers technologies and electrical phenomena involved in computer engineering, information processing, energy transfer and telecommunication. The department strives for societal relevance through an emphasis on the fields of smart sustainable systems, the connected world and care & cure. The TU/e is the world's best-performing research university in terms of research cooperation with industry (#1 since 2009).
The Electronic Systems group consists of seven full professors, ten assistant professors, several postdocs, about 50 PDEng and PhD candidates and support staff. The ES group is world-renowned for its design automation and embedded systems research. It is our ambition to provide a scientific basis for design trajectories of electronic systems, ranging from digital circuits to cyber-physical systems. The trajectories are constructive and lead to high quality, cost-effective systems with predictable properties (functionality, timing, reliability, power dissipation, and cost). Design trajectories for applications that have strict real-time requirements and stringent power constraints are an explicit focus point of the group.
About Thermo Fisher Scientific
Thermo Fisher Scientific is the world leader in serving science, with revenues of more than $20 billion and approximately 70,000 employees globally. Our mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. We help our customers accelerate life sciences research, solve complex analytical challenges, improve patient diagnostics, deliver medicines to market and increase laboratory productivity. Through our premier brands - Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific and Unity Lab Services - we offer an unmatched combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and comprehensive services.
We offer a fixed-term, 2 year position in a research group with an excellent reputation. Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, including:
- A gross monthly salary of € 1.865.
- Additionally, 8% holiday and 8.3% end-of-year annual supplements.
- A minimum of 41 holidays per year (excluding bank holidays, for a full-time employment of 40 hrs/week)
- Additional benefits, including excellent technical infrastructure, child care, holiday savings schemes, and sports facilities.
- Assistance for finding accommodation is offered.
- For more general information about the PDEng traineeship, please visit our website at http://www.tue.nl/pdeng-trainees
- For more information about the project and any informal enquiries, please contact dr.ir. S. Stuijk (email@example.com )
- For more information on working at the TU/e and employment conditions, please contact Tanja van Waterschoot, HR Officer (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- More information on employment conditions can be found here: http://www.tue.nl/en/university/working-at-tue/working-conditions/ .
If interested, please use 'apply now'-button at the top of this page. You should upload the following:
- a letter of motivation and portfolio with relevant work;
- a cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position;
- a detailed Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications and key achievements in research project(s));
- contact information of two references;
- copies of diplomas with course grades;
- results of your IELTS test.
Candidates will be selected based on graduation mark and proficiency at university including consideration of the reputation of the university, relevant experience and skills, writing skills and publications, work experience as well as performance in relevant modeling exercises and interviews.
Please keep in mind; you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each.
Web site for additional job details
We are looking for candidates that match the following profile:
- have an MSc degree in electrical engineering or any other relevant program.
- have theoretical and applied knowledge of signal and/or image processing, control systems, embedded programming, software engineering.
- have experience with GPU and/or FPGA programming.
- have solid skills in C / C++ programming.
- have excellent communication skills in English (written and spoken).
- be a flexible team player, actively helping other team members, and see changes as an opportunity to learn and grow.
- be a quick learner, able to and interested in acquiring new skills and competences.
- show a hands-on attitude, taking responsibility for the process from specification to implementation and validation, including communication and alignment with peers.
EURAXESS offer ID: 413875
Posting organisation offer ID: 283882
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.