ORGANISATION/COMPANYGerman Cancer Research Center
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/04/2019 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONGermany › Heidelberg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK39,5
The German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) invites applications for a highly motivated and creative postdoctoral researcher to explore the molecular bases underlying metabolic and genetic reprogramming in infection/inflammation-induced cancer. The DKFZ is located in the picturesque city of Heidelberg in the South of Germany and benefits from an exceptionally strong research environment, with Germany’s oldest university and several other leading life science research institutions in Europe. The successful candidate will join the research group of Dr. Bruno Galy in the department „Virus-Associated Carcinogenesis“ at the DKFZ.
One major interest of the lab is iron metabolism, whose alterations are emerging as a key metabolic hallmark of cancer. Using a combination of biochemical and molecular biology assays together with state-of-the-art cellular and animal models, the candidate will study the function of central regulatory systems of iron homeostasis in various aspects of tumorigenesis, with a strong focus on the inflammatory processes that lead to the development of intestinal and hepatic cancer. The successful applicant will more specifically investigate the reciprocal influence between the genetic make up of the tumor and iron management in cancer cells versus cells of the tumor microenvironment.
- The applicant holds a Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in biology, biochemistry or related field with an excellent publication record.
- A very strong background in mouse experiments is required.
- A sound knowledge of tumor biology and previous work on in vivo cancer models is essential.
- The candidate works accurately, is able to conduct independent research, but also enjoys working in an international and interdisciplinary environment. He/She is willing to advise junior staff.
- Good presentation skills and experience on project management (importance of scheduling, deliverables, reporting) will be highly valued.
- Fluency in English language (written and spoken) is mandatory. Proficiency in German would be a plus.
The position is limited until 28.02.2021.
The position can in principle be part-time.
EURAXESS offer ID: 400657
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.