ORGANISATION/COMPANYGerman Cancer Research Center
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2019 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONGermany › Heidelberg
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2019
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The DFG-funded Emmy Noether research group of Priya Chudasama, Division of Precision Sarcoma Research at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) and National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT) Heidelberg seeks a postdoctoral scientist in computational biology to work on translational research projects involving multi-omics characterization of bone and soft-tissue sarcoma with the aim to improve understanding of sarcomagenesis and identify targets for precision cancer treatments.
Sarcomas are a large and heterogeneous group of aggressive tumors with significant genetic and histologic diversity, variable clinical course, and very few treatment options, thereby posing an urgent need to develop more effective and well-tolerated therapies. The research group of Priya Chudasama aims to address this challenge by systematic investigation of the genomic, epigenomic, transcriptomic and immunologic landscapes of a large cohort of prospectively collected and clinically annotated primary human sarcoma specimens employing state-of-the-art technologies, followed by investigation into the functional and mechanistic consequences of selected alterations.
The qualified candidate will spear-head the analysis of next-generation sequencing datasets generated within the DKFZ – HIPO (Heidelberg Center for Personalized Oncology) and the clinical sequencing program NCT/DKTK-MASTER (Molecularly Aided Stratification for Tumor Eradication) as well as publically available datasets to investigate the following main objectives:
- Targeting perturbed telomere maintenance mechanisms in sarcomas
- Integrative analysis of deregulated epigenetic mechanisms in sarcomas
- Inquiry of the immune landscape of sarcomas to identify entry points for individualized immunotherapeutic approaches
The candidate will contribute to data interpretation, visualization and inform experimental study design in close collaboration with a team of molecular biologists, clinical bioinformaticians and clinician scientists in spanning Divisions of Applied Functional Genomics (Prof. Claudia Scholl) and Translational Medical Oncology (Prof. Stefan Fröhling), as well as support national and international collaborative projects of the group.
- Interesting, versatile workplace
- International, attractive working environment
- Campus with modern state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Salary according to TV-L including social benefits
- Possibility to work part-time
- Flexible working hours
- Comprehensive further training program
- Access to the DKFZ International Postdoc Program
Earliest Possible Start Date: as soon as possible
Duration: The position is limited to 2 years with the possibility of prolongation.
- A PhD or equivalent in computer science, bioinformatics, biochemistry, biotechnology or related field
- Strong interest and motivation to contribute to the field of cancer research and advance precision medicine efforts
- Expertise in computational analysis, algorithm development and programming skills in languages such as R, Python
- Knowledge of public data sources pertaining to field of cancer (e.g. cBioportal, DepMap, ENCODE, GEO), open source bioinformatics software and pipelines as well as experience in analysis of cancer genomics-datasets is considered a plus
- Highly collaborative and proactive work attitude with excellent oral and written communication skills in English
Applications must include a CV, cover letter, certificates, expected availability date, a complete list of publications and 2-3 reference letters.
EURAXESS offer ID: 400594
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.